Adair County Courthouse
From 1856 to 1874 the original
courthouse of Adair County was located in Fontanelle. This small, two-story
building was made of locally harvested woods. After the county seat moved to
the village of Greenfield in 1874, the first courthouse was used as a school,
church, meeting hall, and town hall until it burned down in 1910.
In the meantime, a second
two-story courthouse was built in the town square of Greenfield for $8,000.
This building suffered the same fate as the first courthouse when it was
destroyed by fire in 1889. An opera house served as the courthouse until the
third courthouse could be completed in 1892.
The cornerstone of the
present courthouse was laid on July 4, 1891. Some of the historical items
placed inside the cornerstone include a bible, bottles of wine, corn, and oil,
as well as the history of Greenfield and a letter to be opened by the oldest
man present when removed. This building serves as the courthouse today. It is
constructed of brick and cost $26,768, including furniture.