Calhoun County Courthouse
Calhoun County was formed in 1855,
but it took until 1856 for Lake City to be selected as the county seat. A
$1,100 building was constructed to serve as the first courthouse in 1856.
In 1877 the county seat
moved to Rockwell City and a new courthouse was built for just over $2,000.
This second courthouse was short lived as a fire destroyed it in 1884. Until a
new one was built, a hotel and a building in town were rented for $1 a day to
serve as the temporary courthouse.
A third courthouse was
built on a new location in 1886, but was too small for the county. The fourth
courthouse was completed in 1914 for a cost of $116,200 and the former
courthouse was sold to a Catholic Church. This fourth courthouse serves Calhoun
County today. The outside walls are limestone and the building has a red roof
made of clay tiles. The architectural style of this three story building is