Decatur County Courthouse
A small building in Leon, made
from logs served as the first courthouse in Decatur. The $375 building was soon
outgrown and a new one was built. However, the buildings that followed it
seemed to exist under a streak of bad luck.
Soon after the first
small courthouse was built it was declared unusable. The next one was destroyed
by a windstorm before it could be finished. Fire destroyed the third courthouse
along with all of the county records.
In 1875, for
approximately $20,000, a brick courthouse was completed. This one also met with
bad luck when two thieves tried to crack the Treasurer's safe. To open the safe
they set off a large explosion that blew up an entire side of the building but
did not damage the safe. The courthouse was then rebuilt and served until 1908,
when the next courthouse was completed.
This courthouse, that
still stands today, is made of iron, steel, stone, tile, brick, marble, and