Delaware County Courthouse
Delaware's first county seat was
located in Delhi. There the citizens built an 18 by 24 foot two-story log
cabin. The cabin lacked some finishing touches, including a roof and jurors had
to enter the second story jury room with a ladder. The county commissioners
resolved, in 1850, to build a new courthouse. Since no contractor could be
found to build it, the settlers used their axes and completed the new
courthouse and jail in 1853.
The county seat was moved
to Manchester and the present courthouse was built there in 1894. For $38,000 a
red pressed brick building was constructed. About 700 citizens donated money to
purchase a clock for the tower. This building is used as the courthouse today.