Des Moines County Courthouse
Burlington beat out a place called
"Center" in 1843 to serve as the first county seat. Court was held in log
cabins until the board leased Marion Hall to accommodate the court. In 1866,
Mozart Hall was purchased, but the building and many county documents were lost
in a fire in 1873. Temporary quarters were once again established at Marion
In 1882, four-story
building with a cupola was built at a cost of $130,000. Cut sandstone from Ohio
was used for the body and dome while the main part of the building was
constructed of brick. Since it was intended to be a fireproof building, empty
spaces between floors and ceiling were filled with concrete upon which solid
stone floors were laid.
This courthouse was sold
by the county in 1940 and the present courthouse was then built across the
street. The total cost of the new courthouse was $280,000.