Dickinson County Courthouse
Construction of Dickinson's first
courthouse began in 1859 but not completed until 1868. The courthouse was used
as protection and shelter against Indian attacks. Troops eventually arrived and
they used the courthouse as quarters until 1865. Work had to be done on the
building after the troops left. The courthouse was completely finished in 1868.
In November of 1871, the old courthouse and some of the county records were
destroyed in a fire.
The second courthouse was
built from the bricks used in the first courthouse. This building was used
until it was condemned in the late 1880's.
The present courthouse
was completed in 1891 at a cost of almost $15,000. The concrete in the
foundation of this courthouse was made from the bricks of the first and second
buildings. A new addition, including a jail, was built in 1957.