Emmet County Courthouse
A Fort Dodge construction firm
received a contract for a schoolhouse and courthouse in 1859. They were to
build the first courthouse in Estherville. The school house was completed and
the construction on the courthouse was in progress before the contractors
learned that they could not be paid. The courthouse was never finished and the
schoolhouse was moved to a new location where it was used as a courthouse. It
was destroyed by fire in 1876.
The county seat was moved
to Swan Lake in 1879, but no courthouse was ever built there. The county seat
was then relocated to Estherville, where in 1884, the building of a courthouse
was contracted for $11,718. This building was completed in 1884.
The present modern brick
courthouse was built for $374,109.90. It was dedicated in September of 1958.