Floyd County Courthouse
In Floyd County, early county
records were kept in the homes or stores of county officials until construction
of a two-story stone courthouse was completed. It was built at St. Charles for
a cost of $18,000 and was completed in May of 1861. The building was graced
with a dome and a self-supporting roof that was claimed to be a masterpiece of
mechanical skill. On June 7, 1874, a bolt of lightning tore through the cupola
and tore through the floor of the Recorder's office.
The building's condition
deteriorated, until a fire destroyed the courthouse in 1881. Losses were
estimated at $30,000 but most of the county records were saved.
A new courthouse was
erected in 1881 on the foundation of the old building. It was built of the best
brick, finished with stone trimmings, and handsomely designed. The total cost
In 1940, the second
courthouse was demolished and the present courthouse was begun. It was made
from tan brick, Bedford stone, and polished red granite. Today's courthouse was
completed in 1941 and financed by a $240,000 bond issue.