Franklin County Courthouse
The first headquarters for county
business was the house of the county judge, James B. Reeve. The board of
commissioners then picked a site called Jefferson, as a compliment to Judge
Reeve, who was from an Ohio town of that name. But one commissioner did not
agree and the county seat was relocated to the present site at Hampton.
The first courthouse was
built in 1857. It was made mostly of native lumber. This building was later
sold to a church. However, instead of being used for worship it was used as a
dwelling and a stable.
Records and offices were
kept in the schoolhouse until a stone 48 X 70 foot courthouse was completed in
the center of the square. This building cost $12,500.
The present courthouse,
which was completed in 1891, is also stone and brick with an elegant clock
tower. Upon completion, it cost $60,000.