Guthrie County Courthouse
Guthrie County's first seat of
justice was in Panora. However, there was no courthouse and the county records
were kept in the cabin of the county clerk. Unfortunately, the clerk also sold
whiskey and gunpowder from his cabin. In 1857, he set off a keg of gunpowder,
blowing all the county records to pieces.
A number of county seat
battles later took place between Panora and Guthrie Center. The first
courthouse was built in Guthrie Center in 1859. Native lumber was used to build
this $2,400 building. In 1877, a new courthouse was built for a cost of
$22,500. This beautiful domed structure burned to the ground on March 3, 1882.
A heroic clerk saved most of the court records.
The insurance proceeds
were used to build another courthouse made of brick.
The present courthouse
was finished in November of 1964 at a cost of $417,000.