Hamilton County Courthouse
The first courthouse was completed
in the 1860s for a cost of $1,934. Court has not been held in this building for
over 120 years, but it still stands in Webster City.
The county had difficulty
raising money for a second courthouse. But in 1874, through the sale of
swampland, the county came up with $50,000. A three-story, brick courthouse was
dedicated on July 4, 1876. An 18 foot square dome originally rested on the
structure but has since been removed.
The present courthouse
was begun in July of 1975 and completed in 1976. It was constructed from tan
bricks and faced with black stone from Georgia.