Hancock County Courthouse
The population of Hancock County
grew after the Civil War and Truman Seymor, a man from New York donated a plot
of land for the first county seat. The location was called "Concord" and two
small buildings were erected in 1865, at a cost of $2,000.
In just two years these
buildings were too small for the growing county's business and a new $10,000
courthouse was begun. A local English immigrant made the bricks for the
building in Lime Creek and hauled them over to Concord. The building was
completed in 1868.
In the 1890's, the city
of Garner annexed Concord and a battle to relocate the county seat began
between Garner and Britt. Garner eventually won the honor when a number of
businessmen there decided to buy a site, build a courthouse, and give them to
the county. Citizens on the east side of the county contributed $25,000 to
complete the project. The courthouse was completed in 1899 and serves Hancock