Hardin County Courthouse
Hardin County was organized in
February of 1853 and the first courthouse was a two-story frame building
erected in 1856. It was destroyed that same year by a fire. A new courthouse
was built in 1857.
In 1892, a third
courthouse was built for $48,000. It was designed in traditional Victorian
style. It is made of red brick, as well as a large amount of stone to dress up
the windows, entryways, and foundation. Statues sit in a cove above the
entryways and below the clock. In 1968, the interior was restored as part of an
extensive remodeling project. A round courtroom was added and efforts were made
to preserve the original woodwork.