Harrison County Courthouse
In Magnolia, the first county
seat, a log cabin was used to hold court and store county records. After a fire
destroyed the building and the records, another courthouse was built around the
year 1854. This building was declared unsafe in 1873 and a third courthouse was
built in Logan in 1876. Total cost of this courthouse was $14,000.
In 1905 plans for a new
courthouse were begun but it was not until October 5, 1910 that the cornerstone
for the present courthouse was laid. This building is 100 feet by 72 feet and
the top of its dome sits 77 feet above the street. The stone courthouse is made
of 672,000 bricks and had a total cost of about $103,000.