Howard County Courthouse
Howard County was organized in
1855 and the county judge decided that Vernon Springs would be the best
location for the first county seat. However, later that same year the same
judge ordered that all the county records and courts be moved to Howard Center.
The community of New
Oregon entered the battle for the county seat and eventually a committee chose
Pikes Peak, which was half way between Vernon Springs and New Oregon, to be the
county seat. Both cities accepted this decision and cooperated in building a
courthouse in 1859.
When it was time for a
new courthouse, Cresco made a bid to build it and the county supervisors
accepted the bid. The newly constructed courthouse burned down in 1876 so a new
one was built in 1879. This structure was put up in the center of town and
serves as the present home of county government. It was designed in
Italianate-Classic style and made of red and buff colored brick. Two additions
were constructed in 1964.