Jackson County Courthouse
Bellevue was temporarily named the
county seat of Jackson County in 1837. The county seat soon moved to Andrew and
the first courthouse was constructed there. Citizens of Andrew built the
courthouse of stone for $6,000.
In an attempt to secure
the honor of being the county seat, the city of Maquoketa offered to allow the
county to use part of its new city hall building for county business. Jackson
County agreed and signed a 99-year lease. Both levels of government used the
large, two-story, stone building.
A new courthouse was
built in Maquoketa in 1886 for approximately $7,000. This structure stood on
the same ground as the present modern courthouse, which was built in 1958 for