Audubon County Courthouse
Audubon county was named after the
famous naturalist, John James Audubon, who died in 1855.
During the first year of
organization, court was held in a schoolhouse in Hamlin's Grove. However, in
1861 the county seat moved to Exira, which began a long term battle between the
two cities over which would be the county seat. In 1871, the board of
supervisors appropriated $6,948 to be used for building a new courthouse in
Exira. But the project was held up when the county seat fight re-developed. The
citizens of Hamlin wanted the honor of being the county seat again. In the end,
Exira was successful in its bid for the courthouse and the building was erected
for about $2,200.
The county seat moved
again in 1879 to Audubon and in 1884 the county secured a $7,000 building to be
used as the courthouse. Upon completion, the building was a two-story brick
building with stone trim, measuring 44 by 100 feet, with a central tower. This
courthouse was demolished in 1939.
That same year, a ninety-six
year old Civil War veteran turned the first shovelful of dirt to commence the
construction of the present courthouse. On June 11, 1940, the county celebrated
the dedication of the new brick courthouse with stone trim. It was built for