Johnson County Courthouse
The first courthouse of Johnson
County was erected in Napoleon, Iowa in the year 1838. A short time later the
county seat moved to Iowa City. A jail and temporary courthouse were completed
there in 1842. The courthouse was 56 by 28 feet, two stories high, and made of
A second courthouse was
built, but the records are unclear as to specifications. By 1897 cracks in the
walls of this courthouse were endangering valuable records.
In 1899, construction
began on the present courthouse. The cathedral-like building is an example of
Romanesque Revival architecture. There are impressive stone carvings above the
entrance. It cost approximately $111,000 to build.