Kossuth County Courthouse
In 1866, lumber was hauled from
Boonesboro to Algona for the first courthouse in Kossuth County. The building
cost $800 and was completed by January 1, 1867.
The cornerstone of a
second courthouse was laid in 1872. The structure, which had a 72 foot high
tower, cost approximately $40,000.
The present courthouse in
Algona is a modern brick building which was dedicated in 1955. It cost
approximately $500,000 to build. On old courthouse square is a semicircular
stone which reads "Court House A.D. 1872". This marks the spot where the
second Kossuth County courthouse used to stand.