Linn County Courthouse
The first courthouse Linn County
was completed in 1842 at a cost of $40,000. The building, constructed in
Marion, was two stories high and made of brick. Although a battle began between
Cedar Rapids and Marion for the county seat, the second courthouse was built in
Marion in 1855.
In April of 1919, Cedar
Rapids deeded a plot of land to the county for the purpose of relocating the
county government there. Voters were asked to approve a $1,300,000 bond issue
for the construction of a new courthouse and plans were drawn up by an
engineer. Although the issue failed, the board went ahead and spent money for a
new building. Luckily, the voters did approve a smaller bond in 1922 so that
the construction could be paid for.
A Bedford limestone
courthouse in Roman and Greek architecture was constructed in Cedar Rapids on
an island in the Cedar River. The ten columns that adorn the front enhance the
building's powerful image. Inside, the posts and walls are made of travertine
and the floors are made of marble. The building was re-dedicated in 1975 and
still serves Linn County today.