Marion County Courthouse
Marion County was organized in
1845, but it would be a little over a year before the first courthouse was
built. In 1846 a wood frame building was constructed for about $700 in
Knoxville. It was used as a courthouse, school, and church for twelve years and
was then sold for $928.
The second courthouse to
be built in Knoxville cost approximately $20,000. It was a 48 by 70 foot brick
building of two stories on a stone foundation. This courthouse stood for about
40 years until it was vacated because of its dangerous conditions.
The present courthouse
was completed in 1896 at a cost of $80,000. Made of stone, it is a three-story
structure with a tower containing a clock which at one time, could be heard to
strike the hour through the entire city.