Monona County Courthouse
The county seat of Monona was
originally Ashton, but changed to Onawa in 1858. At Onawa, county officials
were housed in a small building known as Mechanics' Hall.
Onawa was constantly
being challenged for the honor of being the county seat. The citizens of Onawa
raised $12,500 to be used for a new courthouse if it were to retain the county
seat. In an election against East Mapleton, Onawa won and a $7,000 courthouse
The present courthouse
was built in 1892 in Onawa. It is of typically late Victorian architecture. The
design is similar to that of the courthouse in Adair County.