Monroe County Courthouse
A plan for the
first courthouse was developed in 1846. A half story above the courtroom was
used to provide privacy for the jurors when they considered a case. This
courthouse was torn down in 1860.
time, Judge James Hilton ordered a new courthouse to be built in the center of
the town park. He chose a medieval style building which was used until 1902.
present three-story courthouse is fashioned from heavy stone and was built for
approximately $100,000. The cornerstone for this Renaissance style building was
laid on August 29, 1902.