Montgomery County Courthouse
The first county seat of
Montgomery was located in Frankfort and the first courthouse was a meager room
in a log cabin. The jury was forced to deliberate outside in a prairie and the
courtroom furniture was a dining room set.
Eventually a two-story
building was constructed for about $1,000 to serve the public. Later, this
courthouse was put on a huge sled and moved when the county seat moved to Red
Oak. Thirty yoke of oxen pulled the courthouse to its new location through a blizzard
to its final site in the corner of the public square.
The cornerstone was laid
for the present courthouse on July 4, 1890. Although there were problems with
the contractor during its construction, this beautiful castle was well worth
the $100,000 it cost to build.