Page County Courthouse
In early 1853, Clarinda was
selected as the seat of justice in Page County. The county judge had a building
erected for county business, but the building and the records were destroyed in
an 1858 fire.
A two-story frame
courthouse had been erected before the fire, in 1856. This building was
immediately put to use, but soon became inadequate. Court was then held in
churches and schoolhouses. In 1873, a very simple courthouse was built in
Clarinda's town square for $7,456.
The foundation was laid
for a much grander courthouse in 1885. The price of this building would be
$71,000, but the addition of heating equipment, fixtures, furnishings, and art
work brought the total bill to $86,500. After a fire in 1991, this courthouse
was repaired and remodeled. It looks today much as it did over 100 years ago.
Only the clock and spire have been removed.