Plymouth County Courthouse
The first courthouse was located
in Melbourne. A portion of this building was also used for a grocery store.
The county seat was
relocated to LaMars in 1872 when its citizens offered to provide a suitable
courthouse for county use. This building served the county until 1874, when a
new $3,000 building was constructed.
The county's population
grew and so another courthouse was needed. This building, which serves as the
present courthouse, was completed in 1902. Today its red sandstone exterior
remains nearly as it was when first built, except that a large cupola was
removed. Plymouth has plans for a new courthouse to be completed in 1998.