Polk County Courthouse
The first courthouse was built on
Cherry Street in 1847. The foundation measured 26 by 52 feet and it was made of
brick. It cost the county $2,015. It was eventually sold to a church for $800.
In 1858, the second
courthouse was contracted for a sum of $64,300. Another $30,000 was needed to
complete the two-story building which had an 87 foot dome. Later, an addition
was added and some repairs were made, which brought the total cost to over
In 1906, the current
courthouse was built on the same square as the former courthouse. The building
is basically of Federalist architecture with a clock tower and cupola emerging
from its center. The original columns, stairways, and walls were made of
marble. There are numerous murals on the fourth floor by Charles A. Cummings
and Edward Simmons. Its original cost was $750,000.