Boone County Courthouse
In the middle of a session of
court, in 1851, the roar of wind and the pattering of rain became so loud that
Judge Cave J. McFarland could not hear the testimony in the courtroom. However,
it took until 1856 for a formal courthouse to be constructed in the county seat
of Boonesboro. This two-story building which cost over $2,100.
Later, the citizens of
Boonesboro wanted a new courthouse for their growing county. But another town,
Montana, had aspirations of becoming the county seat. It took two votes before
the measure to name Boonesboro approved in 1865. A three-story brick courthouse
was completed in 1868 at a cost of $38,000 in Boonesboro.
The town of Montana, now
known as Boone, expanded the city limits to incorporate Boonesboro in 1892. The
present courthouse was erected in Boone for approximately $250,000 in the year
1917. It has impressive marble walls and is adorned with terrazzo floors. The
architectural style is Second Renaissance Revival.