Scott County Courthouse
Davenport was named
as the county seat in 1838. Rockingham and Winfield unsuccessfully challenged
Davenport for years for the location as the county seat. The first courthouse
was built in 1842. By 1886, it needed to be replaced. A huge Bedford stone
building was constructed at a cost of $125,000.
1930, termites destroyed the supporting wood beams and the building began to
sink into the sandy soil on which it sat. Major repairs were constantly being
done on the courthouse.
present courthouse, with its all aluminum exterior, was built in 1955 at a cost