Vanburen County Courthouse
Rochester was selected as the
first county seat in 1838, but the governor refused to approve the act.
Subsequently, a committee chose Keosauqua as the county seat and the governor
approved this choice. A two-story brick courthouse completed in 1843. It is
still in use today and is the oldest courthouse in Iowa. The framework is made
of oak, which was strengthened by installing truss rods through the building.
The style of architecture is Greek Revival. The solid brick walls are 22 inches
thick on the first flood and 18 inches thick on the second.
For many years, the
courtroom on the second floor was hailed as the largest auditorium unbroken by
columns or pillars in Iowa. The interior is decorated with framed pictures of
judges, old maps, and other historical memorabilia. Native walnut woodwork also
accents the inside.