Wayne County Courthouse
The first Wayne County courthouse
was built for $600 in the year 1856. This two-story building, which was located
in Corydon, was sold after 20 years of service. County offices were then
rented, and court was held in various churches and halls.
In order to fend off bids
from other towns to be the county seat, Corydon's citizens raised $18,000 to
build a second courthouse.
The third and present
courthouse was completed in 1964 for under $450,000. It sits in the town square
at the center of the business district.