Woodbury County Courthouse
Sioux City was named as the county
seat of Woodbury County in 1856. The foundation for the first courthouse was
laid in 1857. In 1878 a fabulous new courthouse that was designed by a Des
Moines architect was completed for around $75,000. This courthouse was made of
Kasota stone and had elaborate ornamental detail on its exterior.
The third and present
courthouse took three years to construct. The huge brick building was completed
in 1918. A large multi-storied tower emerges from its center. Sculptured
figures representing the Spirit of the Law decorate the main entrance. The
inside is decorated with murals by John W. Norton. The courthouse was put in
the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 because of the architectural uniqueness
and sculptured details.