O'Brien County Courthouse
In 1860, a log courthouse was
built on a farm for about $2,000 in O'Brien County. For some reason, it was
later moved and reassembled in a different rural setting. There it would be
used as a school, blacksmith shop, and a stable.
The second courthouse was
finished in April of 1874 at a cost of $2,000. This was built in the new county
seat of Primghar. This building was replaced in 1887 by a 50 by 54 foot
courthouse built for $6,000. An addition was added in 1902 to satisfy the county's
growing needs. This courthouse was sold for just over $400 and became a
The present courthouse
was built in 1915 for $159,000. It is a large structure of classic design,
faces with buff Bedford limestone. The inside hallways are made of Italian
marble and the handrails are finished in bronze.