Jerry L. Larson
Justice Larson, served on the Iowa
Supreme Court from 1978 until his retirement in 2008. He was the
longest-serving member of the bench in Iowa Court history.
Justice Larson was born and
raised in Harlan. He received his
bachelor's in 1958 and law degree in 1960, both from the University of
Iowa. While at law school, he was an
editor of the Iowa Law Review.
Following his graduation
from law school, he was a law clerk for U.S. 8th Circuit Court of
Appeals Judge M.D. Van Oosterhout.
Later, Justice Larson practiced law in Harlan with his father and
served two terms as Shelby County Attorney.
In 1975, he was appointed to a district court judge. He served on the
district bench until his appointment to the Iowa Supreme Court in 1978.