Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I begin a lawsuit for money damages of more than $6500?

You must file a petition for money damages in the Iowa District Court to begin a lawsuit. The petition must be served on the person or persons who caused the damages.

The rules of procedure for cases in the Iowa District Court are much more complicated than the procedures for small claims cases and the filing fee for district court cases is higher. You should talk to an attorney.

« Back

© 2022 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.