Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Can I get a protective order in my divorce case?

Yes, you may ask for a protective order in your divorce case. You may also qualify for a domestic abuse protection order under Iowa Code chapter 236, or a sexual abuse protection order under Iowa Code chapter 236A. You can obtain a protective order upon presenting a petition to a judge. Forms are available for free from the Iowa Judicial Branch website at:, under the tab “Domestic Abuse or Violence.” There are also Guides for both domestic and sexual abuse actions (in English and Spanish) available from the website. Court costs for these proceedings cannot be charged against the person who files.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.