Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I get an attorney?

You have the right to hire your own attorney. If you are involved in a criminal case and you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may apply for a court-appointed attorney. The clerk of court can provide the appropriate form. The judge will then consider the request and, based on criteria established by the state legislature, determine whether you are eligible for a court-appointed attorney. However, the judge may order you to repay the State of Iowa for those attorney fees at the end of your case.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.