Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

When will I get my bond money back?

Cash bonds are only released upon order of a judge or dismissal of the charges. The bond can only be returned to the person who posted the bond. Regardless of who posted the bond, the bond may be held by the clerk of court to be applied to any amount the person who posted the bond owes to the State of Iowa. If you want the money released before the case is finished, there is a process to revoke a bond, which includes a written request to the court in order for a hearing to be set. At the hearing the judge will decide if the defendant should be placed back in jail so that your money can be returned to you. You should keep the clerk of court office updated if your address or contact information changes.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.