Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Do I have to pay for my child’s education expenses after high school graduation?

A parent paying child support might also be required to pay a post-secondary or college education subsidy or costs through age 22 of the child if the court orders it. See Iowa Code section 598.1(8). In determining whether to order this support, the court will consider the age of the child, the child's abilities, the child's financial resources, whether the child is self-sustaining, and the financial condition of each parent.

You should follow the directions of the divorce, custody, or support decree in place or talk to an attorney if you still have questions about paying child support.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.