Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I change my child’s name in a divorce case?

If there is a pending divorce or custody action, the name change of a minor child can be part of the divorce or custody proceeding. You should include your request for name change in your petition (if you are the petitioner) or answer to the petition (if you are the respondent), and the court can include the change in the final decree. See Iowa Code section 598.37.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.