Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

My child has turned 18, do I still have to pay support?

Child support may continue after the child turns 18 if it is reasonable to expect the 18 year old to graduate or obtain a GED before the age of 19, and the 18 year old is attending school full time. In addition, if the child remains a dependent because of disability, the support obligation can be longer. See Iowa Code § 598.1(9). You should follow the directions of the divorce, custody, or support decree in place or talk to an attorney if you still have questions about paying child support. If you are behind in your child support payments, you will have to pay the amount still owed even if the child has turned 18 and is no longer in school full time.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.