Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

The other parent is behind in paying child support, what can I do?

The circumstances of your case will determine how to handle the problem of the other parent being behind in child support payments. Iowa law provides a number of ways for enforcing a child support order, including income withholding, garnishment, liens, license suspension, and contempt of court. If a parent has not complied with a support order, the other parent must take steps to enforce the order. You should consult with an attorney about appropriate action or contact the Child Support Recovery Unit of the Department of Human Services at 1-888/229-9223 (toll free) or visit the Child Support Recovery Unit website at: See Iowa Code section 598.23.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.