Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

What is child support and how do I get it?

In Iowa, parents have a legal obligation to support their minor children. To get child support, you must obtain a court order that directs the other parent to pay child support to you. With child support one parent pays money to the other parent to help offset the expenses of raising the child or children of the parties. This financial obligation generally continues until the child turns 18, but the support obligation may continue beyond age 18 if the child is a full-time student in high school or college. The child support obligation may include support for a child of any age who is dependent on the parties because of physical or mental disability. See Iowa Code section 598.1(9).

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.