Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

I am a “legal parent” of a child because of marriage. Can I be disestablished as legal parent of the child?

Disestablishing legal parentage is very complicated, and you should talk to an attorney.

If a child is born or conceived during a marriage and one of the parties wants the court to conclude that one of the parties is not a biological parent of the child and should be disestablished as (should no longer be) a legal parent of the child, the party can file a Motion to Disestablish Legal Parent. The form, with instructions, is available on the Iowa Judicial Branch website at:

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.