Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I become a guardian for a minor?

You must file a petition for appointment of a guardian for a minor in the district court for the county where the minor is found or in the county where the minor lives. There is no official Iowa court form for a petition for minor guardianship at this time.

  • A potential guardian must pass a criminal background check and pay a fee for the background check. Notice of the petition must be served on the minor and the minor’s parents.
  • For more information on filing the petition for a minor guardianship and the contents of the petition, see Iowa Code section 232D.301. Guardianships can be complicated and you should visit with an attorney.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.