Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I have a person committed?

To have a person committed, you must file an application with the clerk of court in the county where the respondent (person you are committing) resides or is located. You must use the approved forms in Chapters 12 and 13 of the Iowa Court Rules. Applications must be notarized and supported with an affidavit from another person confirming the allegations in the application. The court forms are available at no charge on the Iowa Judicial Branch website at:

Additional information can be found on the Iowa Judicial Branch website at:

The person to be committed must be a danger to themselves or others, for example, the person is suicidal or homicidal.

If you are beginning commitment proceedings against another person, you are called the “Applicant,” and the person who may be committed is the “Respondent.”

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.