Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

I want to file small claims against someone, but I do not know where the person is. How do I find the person?

There are numerous internet search engines. You could also hire a private detective, but this will cost money.

If a person still cannot be found, you can apply to the court for permission to achieve “Service by publication,” which is accomplished by publishing notice in a newspaper or other public medium. See Iowa Rule of Civil Procedure 1.310. You may want to visit with an attorney about service by publication.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.