Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

Can I negotiate with the other party on paying me?

Yes. If the other party is willing to pay, but cannot pay the entire amount all at once, you might consider allowing the person to pay the debt by making regular payments or by paying the whole amount owed by a set date in the future. Or, you might negotiate the transfer of property from the other party to you instead of money. These types of arrangements are called settlement agreements. If you reach a settlement agreement with the other party, be sure to write down the terms of your agreement, date it, and have both you and the other party sign it. Keep a copy of the agreement. If the terms of the settlement agreement are met, you will need to file a “Release and Satisfaction of Judgment,” form 3.23 available on the Iowa Judicial Branch website at:, under the Small Claims tab.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.