Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

After the court issues a name change order, will the name change be added to my birth certificate or to my child’s birth certificate?

When the court grants a change of name, the clerk of court will provide a certified copy of the Decree of Name Change to you, and the clerk will also mail an abstract of the Decree to be filed with the Iowa Department of Health, requiring the change of name to be made on the birth certificate. See Iowa Code chapter 674.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.