Skip to main content
Iowa Judicial Branch
Main Content

How do I change a minor child’s name as part of a divorce case or custody case?

If there is a pending divorce or custody action, the name change of a minor child can be part of the divorce or custody proceeding. Include your request for name change in your Petition (if you are the petitioner) or Response (if you are the respondent), and the court can include the change in the final decree. See Iowa Code section 598.37.

« Back

© 2023 Iowa Judicial Branch. All Rights Reserved.